Monday, September 13, 2010

¡Venga Bicho!

I went to Mallorca this weekend and stayed with a group of some of the nicest people I've ever met. Our crew consisted of Gustavo, Sara, Matt, Jeremy, Antonio ("JB"), Steve, and Bret (Mogli). I was only in town for a weekend, but these guys are crushing it island style for an entire month. Thy have rented out an apartment with enough beds for six, which left Mogli on the couch (and me on the patio floor). Anything to climb.

Saturday we went to a place called Cala Barques which was about 30 minutes from the apartment by car. After turning onto a road marked "Private Property, Do Not Enter", we drove about a mile until we reached a sign that said "No Aparcar" (No Parking) and parked next to it. If that wasn't enough, we slipped through a gate that was poorly chained closed and spray painted with the words "Keep out". So far, a very inviting experience. A 15 minute walk on a bushy trail led us to a beach PACKED with people. There were multiple slack lines set up, boats of all shapes and sizes not far from shore, and, as has been the case at every beach thus far, boobies!

We marched past the inviting beach in favor of more bushwhacking, which brought us upon one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen-- two caves rising up out of the ocean and chalk marks all the way up both of them. The first cave is called Metrosexual cave, as the main route there is called Metrosexual. Here are some pictures.


Me on Metrosexual.


JB flexin' near the top of Metrosexual.


Me on Strangers in Paradise in the cave next to Metrosexual.

The next day we went to Porto Colom. This place was the exact opposite of Cala Barques-- A steep down climb to a rocky cove where the only people we saw all day were also climbing. No beach, no boobies. This place, however, proved to be just as fun. I climbed a 75ft route called Me Llamo Chris that actually topped out. There is an option to bail at a little ledge around 50ft, still counting as a valid send. However, after I managed to mantle up onto the ledge, everything in my body told me to keep going! We also worked a sweet tufa project that probably goes at 7c/c+ (12d or 13a).


Me on the Porto Colom Proj



Closer up on the proj.



Gustavo pullin!

There's a video of me sending Strangers in Paradise, I just can't manage to get it on the damn blog. I'll try again later. Hope everyone enjoys the pictures! It was really the experience of a lifetime. I'm so grateful for everyone's hospitality this weekend. This is just the beginning of my Euro climbing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment